Music, Performing Arts and Visual Art
St Simon Peter has a classroom music specialist where the students learn the fundamentals of Music reading, writing, playing and performing within the ACARA guidelines. Students in Years 3-5 learn the recorder and students in Year 6 learn the ukulele. Ipad and technology based learning is a focus throughout all year levels.
St Simon Peter has a Performing Arts specialist who coordinates and teaches a range of genres and programs.
There is an extensive Performing Arts Program which allows students the opportunity to learn:
- Auditioned Choir for students in Years 4-6
- Orchestral Band for any students learning an instrument in our school based program and who have learnt the basics of their instrument
- School Creative dance and Hip hop program for students in Years 4-6
- Christian Dance program for students in Years 3-6
- Music Ministry (choir for Masses) for students in Years 2-6
- Musical Theatre program for auditioned students after school for students in Years 5 and 6 only with a Musical production performed at Prendiville Redmond Theatre.
Biannually the Musical Theatre group perform a full musical at Prendiville Performing Arts Centre for the community.
Our thriving instrumental program allows students to learn a wide range of instruments in lessons with highly qualified tutors privately or in small groups.
- Drums and Percussion – available for students in PP to Year 6
- Keyboard- students in Years 2 to 6
- Piano- students in Years 2 to 6
- Violin- Years 2 to 6
- Flute – Years 2 to 6
- Clarinet- Years 2 to 6
- Trumpet- Years 2 to 6
- Acoustic Guitar - Years 2 to 6
- Electric Guitar - Years 2 to 6
- Saxophone- tenor and alto - Years 2 to 6
- Trombone - Years 3 to 6
- French Horn - Years 5 to 6
This program is paid for by the parents with lessons running during the school day. Lessons can be individual at $38 per half hour, or shared, in which the cost is $18 per half hour. These students are eligible to audition and become a part of the School Band.
Students learning an orchestral instrument at SSP are invited to join the Junior Woodwind Band at Prendiville Catholic College during Years 5 and 6 once a certain level is achieved.
Students are invited to perform at our annual Music Concert during Term 2.
St Simon Peter Performing Arts students are actively involved in school events such as our Annual Music Concert held at Prendiville Performing Arts Centre, School Masses, fetes and assemblies. They are also involved in:
- The Catholic Arts Festival
- Joondalup Eisteddfod
- One Big Voice
- Sing Festival
- Aged Care Christmas Choir Tour
- Annual Talent Quest
- Full Musical production
- Joondalup Festival
- Parish Carols by Candlelight
Classroom teachers run creative art lessons working through themed activities teaching students a wide range of artistic elements, techniques and styles.
Biannually the school hosts an Art Exhibition and opportunities are available for talented students to enter the Angelico Art Exhibition which is run during the Catholic Arts Festival.